Get ready, y'all! I just inked a contract with Quarry Publishing to write the next book in their "1000" series. I'll be writing 1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse, a book filled with 1000 (you read right) examples of craft, art and design made out of repurposed, reused and recycled materials. The book will be bristling with amazing contributions from artists and crafters around the world. What do you make out of reused stuff? I want to hear about it! Here are some of the categories I'm looking for:
- Paper Craft– Consigning paper to the recycling bin is a shame. Do you make interesting things out of paper?
- Art– Does your art involve clever reuse of materials in installation, sculpture, collage, painting or other media?
- Jewelry and accessories– Our definition here is very broad—we’re looking for all kinds of personal adornment, handbags, belts, hats, etc.
- Clothing– We’re seeking all kinds of clothing mash-ups, stitch-ups, and makeovers.
- Fiber and fabric- How about renovated soft goods made from recycled or vintage linens, quilts, fabrics, fibers, sweaters, yarns, rugs?
- Housewares and furnishings– We’re looking for repurposed furniture, ceramics, serving dishes, utensils and miscellaneous home goods.
- Houses, interiors, and environments– Is your living space made of reused materials? Have you made a visionary environment out of recycled materials?
- GeekCraft and ManCraft– Do you make repurposed items with geek appeal? What about traditionally “manly” items such such as grills, antler furniture and armchair go-karts?
- UnClassifiable– We are encouraging the submission of work that doesn’t fit into any of the above boxes.
The Call for Entries is hot off the presses. Download it today for image guidelines and more information. The deadline on this puppy is January 5, 2009, but early submissions are HIGHLY encouraged. I'll be adding more information to this page as it becomes available. In the meantime, feel free to email me with your questions! All of the information is in the call for entries.